Monday 20 May 2013

2013 Bridge2Bridge Wrap-Up and Photo Diary

 
"You've ridden from where?!" The lady sitting in traffic beside me asks. 

"The Story Bridge in Brisbane. Over 1,000km in a week." I reply a second time, with a half embarassed/half proud grin spreading across my face. 

"Wow. Thats a long way. Wow! You guys are amazing. Good luck for the rest of the ride!" She smiles and waves goodbye to the group

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That was a pretty typical interaction from strangers we had met along our journey. Whenever we would have to put the Bridge2Bridge into words and explain to someone that we were cycling from Brisbane to Sydney, it would hammer home the sheer distance and size of the challenge (in case we had somehow forgotten).

As a fairly regular cyclist, I knew pretty well how much pain 1,000km would inflict on our bodies. But some of the other riders were less experienced (and much, much less prepared) and basically went in blind. For me, this is what made their achievement even more amazing. I know plenty of people who would have pulled out even before the first day was over.


There were definately times when I was hurting badly (physically and mentally) and thought about stopping or slow down. But the combination of the ride purpose, the people I was riding for and my determination to see it thru soon and give it my best soon banished those thoughts to the back of my mind. In the end, I completed it without too many problems and felt pretty good the next day. I even pushed myself on the climbs and set a quick average pace each day. My only real issues were:
  • Saddle sores - They came on after 4 days of riding. I had used copius amounts of Assos Chamois Cream but they still appeared. They weren't too bad and I was able to continue riding (with a grimace) for the rest of the week. I would hate to imagine what it would have been like if I didn't use the cream (ouch!).
  • Knee pain - My left knee was hurting quite abit when we hit the cold tableland country. Armidale, Scone and Glen Innes were all below 5 degrees and I found that my knee would hurt for a few hours until I had sufficiently warmed up. It didnt affect my riding too much as I would take it easy and warm up for the first 30-40km then hit top speed with Ivor and Lawrie later in the day. I should point out that I usually hate, hate, hate, hate the cold - and this ride would mark the coldest weather I have ever ridden a bike in.
  • Flats - I was lucky with only 2 flats. Poor Ivor had 8 altogether, with 4 occuring in one day! That would have tested my patience I think.
  • Shifting - My shifting on the bike wasn't as clean as I would have liked. I dropped the chain off the front a few times and there was some noise in the rear cogs too. I will have to spend some time looking over it this weekend.

The Team


The A-team! (L-R): Mark, Alex, Randall, Cure For Life rep, Graham, Rochelle, Lauren, Lawrie, Ivor, Kevin, Cure For Life rep, Andrew, Peter (and son), Me

Evil Masterminds (Randall & Mark): The key organisers. Randall lost his daugher to an aggressive brain tumor which lead to his first ride from Gympie to Sydney solo. After rebranding to Bridge2Bridge, Randall hopes to continue the ride for years to come. Mark is his key offsider - organising media appearences, meet & greets, school visits and rider preparation. Mark also loves a beer or three.

Guardian Angels (Graham and Rochelle): Our saviours. They drove the van and tended to our every need. I know how whingey and annoying I can be after a hard ride so I am so grateful for all their help managing and looking after 10 riders day-in, day-out. They put out breakfast, picked up our luggage, organised our motel bookings, provided drinks and food, warmed us up, cooled us down, encouraged us and provided vital distance and time checks (how annoying would 10 cyclists asking "how far to go now?" everyday be haha) and generally putting up with us. Without them, the ride would have been impossible.

The LJ Hooker crew: The major sponsor for the ride this year was LJ Hooker. This was led by the Sunnybank Hills branch. Peter is the head honcho and his team of Alex, Kevin and Andrew were along for the ride. Lauren (Alex's partner) and Lawrie (Peters friend) also joined up to boost numbers. They had strong motivation to complete the challenge with Lauren losing both her Dad and Sister to brain cancer and Lawrie losing his brother.

The Leftovers: Me and Ivor. Ivor knew Randall thru a friend and signed up for the first time this year. And me, well I just was on the internet one day and ended up on the B2B website. The rest is history.



Memorable Quotes

"Yep, they're screwed" - Was the resounding conclusion when Lawrie, Ivor and I had finally staggered into the motel in Warwick on Day 1 after 170km and the monster Cunninghams Gap climb. We were absolutely shattered and had little hope for the other less-experienced riders, especially after hear they had to walk up Cunninghams Gap. It was hours until we saw the next rider limp into the motel and the last rider finished in the dark. But none of them gave up, which speaks volumes for their mental strength.

"Damn you, Bolivia!!" - Muttered by me when my knee was giving me some grief climbing the long Bolivia hill outside Tenterfield. I still have no idea why this random climb is named after a South American country. Good news was I hit my highest speed of the trip - 75km/hr - down the otherside.

"How many hills are left?" - I think Lauren asked Randal this question daily haha. Safe to say Lauren wasn't a keen cyclist when she joined the ride but I am hopeful we have converted her now. She was the most determined person on the ride, with only 4 months of cycling under her belt she never gave up.

"Andrew crashed his bike further back. Peter might have pushed him off." - On the last day, Andrew had an unfortunate accident crossing a freeway onramp and was left sprawled across the tarmac. When his brother Peter, arrived fresh as a daisy miles ahead, we concluded that Andrew may have been caught up in sibling rivalry.   

"Oh look, dead pig." - After seeing close to 50 dead wallabies on the side of the road, we were somewhat excited about a different dead animal. For the record, we saw only 1 dead pig, a few foxes, a deer and a couple of cats. My nose is now finely tuned to the stench of road kill - I can smell it coming a kilometer away.

"Kevin is lucky to still be alive. He ended up in a bogan coal mine." - On the second last day we passed thru Cessnock which has the reputation for being somewhat....bogan. Poor Kevin (our funny Korean rider) had set off by himself, was promptly verbally abused by some racist kids, got angry and rode off in a huff. Only problem being that he went down the wrong road and ended up on some Cessnock coal mine access road. Safe to say if Graham and Rochelle didnt find & rescue him, those rednecks would've had Kevvy for dinner. Funny story tho.


Afterthoughts...

For days after the ride I would flip flop between two trains of thought:
  • Well, that wasn't so hard. I am not even that sore. I didn't bleed, I didn't sacrifice a body part and with abit of training anyone could do that ride. Heck, even a rider with 4 months experience managed to finish. Its not that big of a deal. 
and 
  • Holy moly that was hard. Don't forget how low you felt coming into Warwick on the first day - that was the worst you have ever felt on the bike. How many other people do you know that could do that? Sure the less experienced riders finished as well, but their mental strength is what kept them going. Its mind over matter when the body gives up. That was a tough ride. 

After talking to a few people back in Brisbane and hearing their reactions to the ride, I think its probably a mix of both trains of thought.

Yes, it was the hardest week of riding in my life. But, it was also the most rewarding thing I have ever done. There is that magical feeling of pushing yourself to the absolute limit of exhaustion, yet still being able to smile and laugh only an hour later. Add to that the fact we were doing it for charity (and in memory of friends we lost), then you have this whole mixed feelings of achievement, honour and sacrifice. Regarding the charity side, its nice to know someone, who I will never meet, will benefit from the money we raised - and one day if a cure for cancer is found, I can quietly be proud to be one of the many who helped that happen.

All in all, I would count it as a life changing experience. One which I would love to repeat again.

Wide-eyed and Legless....exactly how I felt at the end of the ride

Photo Slideshow


robertmcglinn's Bridge2Bridge 2013 - Brisbane to Sydney album on Photobucket


News Articles

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/six-dedicated-riders-will-take-on-1000km-this-week-when-they-take-part-in-the-bridge-2-bridge-bike-ride/story-fn8m0sve-1226632796207

http://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/story/1490373/on-bikes-to-save-lives/

http://www.gympietimes.com.au/news/pedal-power-to-find-a-cure/1871087/

http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/1485089/putting-the-brake-on-cancer/

http://www.tenterfieldstar.com.au/story/1468298/riders-arduous-trek-for-cancer/

http://www.gympietimes.com.au/news/pedalling-for-cure-to-cancer/1849798/

http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/news/bridge-to-bridge-riders-get-ready/1853297/

http://www.cessnockadvertiser.com.au/story/1596244/pedalling-for-a-brain-cancer-cure/?cs=459

No comments:

Post a Comment